UST’s Student Government Association held allocation meetings on April 9, 11 and 16 to determine budget allocations for three new student organizations that will launch next school year: Campus Activity Board, Campus Initiatives, and Diversity and Inclusion.
The budget requests and allocations are listed below.
An allocation request by Samaria Herbert, vice president of the Diversity and Inclusion organization, to hold two LGBT-related, on-campus events involving Campus Ministry was amended. The SGA voted to hold off allocating money for the events pending clarification from Herbert about event details and scheduled speakers.
SGA told Diversity and Inclusion members to request the money from the Treasury Board in Fall 2019, when the organization can provide a more definitive plan about its planned events.
At the April 16 meeting, Parliamentarian Nemec said SGA should be hesitant about allocating for the events until it is sure they will be held in a “tasteful” manner.
“I think the reason that senate is still hesitant even with the guidance of campus ministry, is that there’s been a historical trend and actual examples of other Catholic universities with events like this, supervised by campus ministries, that still went wrong,” Nemec said. “That’s no assurance of success.”
This is a developing story.
The following are the budget requests and allocations for all three organizations. All requests were approved unless otherwise noted:
Diversity and Inclusion Budget Request:
- President/Chair stipend: $3,000
- Hourly Executive pay: $4,000
- Giveaways: $3,000
- Training Sessions: $1,000
- DIO Uniforms for officers- t-shirts, sweatshirts, polos, and shoes: $1,000
- Food Truck Frenzy: $5,500
- Commuter Raffle: $100
- Transfer tea and trivia: $1,000
- There will be one held in the fall and another one held in the spring in collaboration with Campus Initiatives
- Door Decorating- Hispanic Heritage Month: $100
- Loteria Night- In collaboration with Campus Activities Board: $700
- First Generation Student Event (Celt Talk): $500
- Latino Dance Night: $1,000
- LGBT Event: $2000 (on hold)
- Food Features: $3000
- Recurring food events will happen throughout the semester featuring different food trucks.
- Movie Night: $2,000
- Potentially more if there are guest speakers
- Lunar New Year Lantern Festival: $5,000
- Commuter Raffle: $100
- Black History Celt Talk: $500
- Door decorating: $100
- Movie Night- black history: $1,000
- Women’s History Month Event- in collaboration with Campus Activities Board: $500
- Movie History- Women’s history month: $1,000
- Women’s History Celt Talk: $500
Total requested: $38,900
Total received: $36,900
The new budget for Diversity and Inclusion excludes the $2000 for the proposed LGBT events.
The amended budget for Diversity and Inclusion passed with 9 votes in favor, 1 vote against, and 1 abstention.
Campus Activity Board Budget Request:
- Training sessions: $350
- Executive shirts: $300
- Intern Expenses: $1,000
- Printed Materials Advertising: $500
- Social Media Costs: $100
- Giveaways: $2,000
- Fall events
- Welcome Back event featuring Steel City Pops: $900
- Loteria themed bingo done in collaboration with Diversity and Inclusion: $550
- Lei’d back luau: $4,000
- Pumpkin carving: $200
- Neewollah: $7,800 (not including expected revenue $1,500)
- Campus Activities Board is taking over winter formal from SGA and will be holding an event called Jingle Ball in the fall semester: $5,000
- Deck the Mall: $200
- Late Night Breakfast: $800
- Spring Events
- In January there will be a second winter themed event called Winter Wonderland: $5,000
- Welcome Back Bingo in collaboration with campus initiatives: $500
- Celts Got Talent: $1,500
- A garage rooftop party with a roller rink: $5,400
- The crawfish boil: $3,300
- Spring formal: $32,000 (not including expected revenue– $7,500)
- Late Night Breakfast: $800
- Amount for contingencies and emergencies: $2,000
- Total requested: $81,200
- Total approved: $81,200 (including funds for stipends and officer salaries)
The CAB budget was passed unanimously.
Campus Initiatives Budget Request:
- Officer stipend for President/Chair: $2000
- Hourly executive pay
- Assistant Vice president: $1,000
- Treasurer: $1,000
- Committees director: $1,000
- Public Relations: $1,000
- Printed materials: $500
- Social Media Costs: $250
- Giveaways: $4,000
- Training sessions: $100
- Other- officer bonding: $200
- Officer Uniforms: $600
- Soccer tailgate: $1,500
- Basketball tailgate: $1,500
- Volleyball Tailgate: $1,500
- Baseball tailgate: $2,300
- The baseball tailgate is projected to cost more, because it is a new sport offered on campus so the event will be treated as more of a debut.
- Homecoming: $1,200
- Bingo collaboration with Campus Activities Board: $500
- Earth Week: $1,700
- February Initiative- Clothe the Naked: $120
- March Initiative- Give Alms: $275
- April Initiative- Shelter the Homeless: $500
- September Initiative- Drink to the Thirsty: $720
- October Initiative- Bury the Dead: $265
- November Initiative- Feed the Hungry: $230
- December Initiative- Visit the Sick: $630
- Orientation volunteer opportunity: $3,000
- Sustainability chair budget: $4,500
- Service chair budget: $1,000- lower number because the service chair does not foresee large expense for volunteer work
- School spirit chair budget: $5,000
- Food for meetings: $650
- Mascot: $600
- Chair grants: $1,200
- Contingency: $3,000
Total requested: $45,785
Total approved: $45,785
The Campus Initiatives budget was passed unanimously.
Briseyda Alheli Garcia also contributed to this story.