Present: 7 Senators, Pro Tempore Swartz, Assistant Dean of Students Amanda Villanueva, Director of Academic Advising and Enrollment Services Lee Holm
Absent: Vice President of Student Government Jack Dowling (late), Senator Groff, Senator Habibi (late)
Quorum met? Yes
- The Catholic Identity Committee is hosting a religious art contest. There will be two winners: an art winner and a poetry winner, and they will both win an iPad.
Guest Speaker: Director of Academic Advising and Enrollment Services Lee Holm
- Holm presented SG with a smoke- and tobacco-free-campus policy that would ban anyone from using tobacco products on campus. It was discussed among the faculty University Coordinating Committee.
- Holm wants SG to review the policy and talk to constituents over the next two weeks.
Old Business: None
Campus Ministry Collaboration
- Campus Ministry intern Margaret Gatson asked SG to allocate money to help subsidize a student “Jesus, Is That You?” retreat hosted by campus ministry at Forest Glen Campsite in Huntsville, Texas from Feb 24-March 1. The money will allow students to pay just $40 to attend.
The collaboration was passed unanimously.
- There were changes made to correct wordiness and grammatical errors.
- Registered Student Organizations, Club Sports Association and the Senate are required to meet with their advisors to determine a budget for the upcoming academic year no later than two weeks before the end of the spring semester.
- The chief executive officer of each organization is required to meet with the vice president of student affairs, who will either approve or deny their budgets.
- RSO, CSA and the Senate may not raise their budgets more than .5% in a single year.
- SG will no longer have a PR position. The Treasurer will be the Chair of Finance, and the Pro Tempore will be the Chair of the Conduct and Ethics Committee. The Pro Tempore will be responsible for training new senators.
The revisions to the constitution were passed unanimously, but after further discussion and some confusion, senators decided to table the changes.
- Celts Day of Service was held Feb. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- David Hao is the new associate vice president of student affairs as of Feb. 17.
- SG attended a leadership breakfast with Hao on Feb. 19 from 8:30 to 10 a.m.
The next SG meeting was held on Feb. 25.